The New York Mets (62-79) have played well over the past week thanks to a break in their schedule. Thanks to matchups against the lowly Philadelphia Phillies and Cincinnati Reds (61-81), the Mets have won four of their last five games, including three in a row. The Mets will look to secure a series victory over the Reds as the two teams continue their four game set tonight. First pitch for the third game of this series is scheduled for 7:10 pm at Citi Field.
The pitching matchup is a rematch of the August 30th contest in Cincinnati between Rafael Montero (4-9, 5.21 ERA) and Homer Bailey (4-7, 7.24 ERA). Montero earned another win in his last start, giving up four runs in 5.1 innings to defeat the Phillies on Monday. Bailey also pitched well in his last start, giving up three runs in six innings against the Milwaukee Brewers on Monday, but didn’t factor in the decision. The Reds ended up picking up a 5-4 win in that contest.
New York Mets Lineup:
- SS Jose Reyes
- RF Nori Aoki
- 3B Asdrubal Cabrera
- LF Brandon Nimmo
- CF Juan Lagares
- 1B Dominic Smith
- C Kevin Plawecki
- 2B Matt Reynolds
- SP Rafael Montero
- Montero delivered his best start of the season against the Reds, tossing 8.1 shutout innings to defeat them on August 30th.
- Bailey opposed Montero in that contest and pitched well, giving up two runs in six innings of work, but was stuck with a tough loss.
- Amed Rosario (finger) is progressing but remains out of the lineup as the Mets continue to proceed cautiously with their talented young shortstop. Jose Reyes will fill in for him again tonight and bat leadoff.
- Asdrubal Cabrera (hamstring) is back in the lineup today after sitting out last night. Cabrera will bat third and play third base.
- Nori Aoki is back in the lineup after sitting against lefty Amir Garrett yesterday. Aoki will bat second and play right field.
- Kevin Plawecki will catch tonight since Montero has fared pretty well when he starts behind the plate. Plaweci will bat seventh.