Hi there and welcome to the feature sweeping the nation, Oh Say Did UC? If you missed the electric first version, it’s pretty much a gathering of Cincinnati Bearcats news put in one place. It’s probably the greatest thing since chocolate milk. We’ve had a busy couple weeks with Bearcats playing in the Sugar Bowl last Friday, and the basketball team playing 5 games in 11 days. There will probably only be a Seton Hall result post Sunday, with a write up coming on Monday. Let’s do the football news first, and the basketball news second. Alright? Alright.
- The final polls of the season came out last night after Alabama beat Texas to win the BCS National Championship. There should be a playoff or a plus 1, because after watching last night, teams like Boise State could absolutely hang. But if there were a plus 1, they probably would have been left out because they were #5. Anyway, the Broncos somehow finished 4th which is bullshit by the coaches and AP. Get your heads out of your asses. They went undefeated and you have them behind Florida? Behind Texas? McCoy didn’t play, but Texas still lost and Boise didn’t. End rant.
- The Bearcats finished 8th in the AP Top 25 and 9th in the Coaches’ Poll behind Penn State. Florida was 3rd.
- Former Bearcats defensive coordinator Bob Diaco, and passing game coordinator and receiver coach Charley Molnar are leaving the school to go to Notre Dame. This isn’t surprising in the least. The Bearcats already announced new coordinators. Also going to Notre Dame are defensive line/assistant head coach Mike Elston and running backs coach and recruting coordinator Tim Hinton. Everyone else but Kerry Coombs is going to Buffalo. Most of the UC coaching staff next year will be from Central Michigan. Typical coaching change stuff.
- Butch Jones was interviewed at halftime of the Cal State Bakersfield game. He didn’t say anything really important. He said Zach Collaros will be the point guard of the offense, and the team will still attack. He said the defense at Central Michigan was good this year, and it will be at UC next year. I think he was freaked out by Michael Reghi’s hair. Just go gray dude.
- Brian Bennett had these 2 nuggets of information about next year. First, he says don’t be that worried about next season. He is critical of the team in the Sugar Bowl, so you can skim past the first couple of questions.
- BB also has a list of who’s returning next season for the Big East so far. The Cats have 12 starters coming back, 7 offense, 5 defense. The offense also has USC transfer Vidal Hazelton to look forward to next year.
- Someone not returning is South Florida coach Jim Leavitt. South Florida corroborated reports that he grabbed by the throat, and smacked player Joel Miller at halftime during a game with Louisville. On top of that, Leavitt lied during the investigation numerous times. Leavitt was the only coach in USF history and raised the program from the ground. He also was a gaping asshole apparently.
- 3 Bearcats were invited to the Senior Bowl. Quarterback Tony Pike, Wide Receiver Mardy Gilyard and Long Snapper Mike Windt. The first 2 were locks, but what about Mike? Congrats big man. Don’t throw one over the punter or holders head with the pro coaches watching.
- Here is a great piece by Andy Staples that you should read about last nights game.
- Despite the football teams success and 18,000 fans buying tickets for the Sugar Bowl, Cincinnati is facing a big deficit. The Enquirer reports the school will need $11 million a year to support being in the Big East. There is some doubt that the practice fields and bubble and basically everything Brian Kelly wanted, will be financially do-able.
Now let’s hit the basketball side of things.
- The game tomorrow will be on Fox Sports Ohio and ESPN 360.com at 6. If you are watching the Bengals game and don’t have a dvr, I hope you can see it on 360. It will probably not work in Cincinnati or whatever city is unfortunate to have Seton Hall.
- The great, great, great Basketball Prospectus ranked the Top 25 Freshmen of the year. Cincinnati’s own Lance Stephenson finished 8th. It’s a great list, check it out.
- Here are where some great sites have the Bearcats ranked. Basketball State: 49. Team Rankings: 43. Real Time RPI: 52. Cal State Bakersfield killed our RPI there. Sagarin: 50
- Basketball Prospectus has former Cat Tony Bobbitt as one of the top players in the NBDL who could get called up by the NBA soon.
- CollegeHoops.net has a list of the top 100 players of January. The list has 2 Cats, 47 Lance Stephenson and 91 Yancy Gates.
- Finally, let’s cap the day off with some way too early bracket predictions that someone guessed. CollegeHoops.net has UC as a 11, SI a 12, playing Washington. I wish that was real. And finally ESPN’s Bracketology has UC an 8 playing Texas Tech with Kentucky in the second round.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for supporting the blog. If you have any links that you want to send, shoot an email or leave a comment. If you want me to link your blog in the blogroll, simply shoot me a link and I’ll add you. The Seton Hall preview will be up either tonight, or tomorrow morning.