In perusing the Football Ousiders Almanac 09 one more time, I ran across some fascinating stats about Peyton Manning’s 2008 season:
- Manning had the 29th most “underthrown passes”. I would have expected it to be higher. It seemed like he was leaving the deep ball short.
- Manning was 3rd in the NFL with 36 passes dropped. That doesn’t surprise me. Drops were a major issue last year. Reggie Wayne dropped 9 balls (tied for 9th in the league). Addai dropped 5.
- Manning was #2 in QB accuracy with 87.2%. Brees was #1. This stat attempts to figure out what % of the passes were to the target, not counting Thrown Away, Tipped at Line, or Hit in Motion.
- Manning was the 9th most hit QB in the league (one of our favorite stats considering he was the least sacked).
- He was 34th in knocked downs per pass (helps he’s freaking tall)
Other Colts stats:
- Dwight Freeney led the NFL in QB hurries with 28. He’s incredible. Mathis didn’t make the list.
- He was 10th in the league in QB hits with 10.
- He was 10th in the league in knockdowns (sacks + hits)
- Bethea was 8th in the league with 4 dropped INTs (no surprise there)
- Melvin Bullitt was 8th in the NFL in fewest yards per rush tackle by a DB. That’s why no one is sweating if Sanders misses a few games.
- Gary Brackett was 3rd in fewest yards per rush tackle by a line backer. No, we didn’t miss him down the stretch (/sarcasm).
- AV was 7th in kickoff value
- Smith was 5th in gross punting value over average
- The offense was #1 in fewest 3 and outs
- The defense was 25th in fewest 3 and outs
- The offense was #2 in most yards per drive. They were #4 in points per drive
- The defense was 27th in yards per drive.
- The Colts were the 5th best team from the shotgun
- The Colts D was the 3rd best against the shotgun
- The Colts offense was 28th in DVOA on play action passes Ouch. Does anyone think we missed the stretch play a little?