News and Notes for Sunday, February 5th
Coyotes beat the Sharks 3-2 on Saturday night
- The highlight of the game was the reactions of the Coyote’s fathers in attendance.
- Mike Smith once again faced 40 shots on goal.
- Unsurprisingly, Radim Vrbata nets one in the shootout for the win.
- Per Sarah McLellan on Twitter, the Coyotes are the first team to beat the Sharks three times this season
Once again the Coyotes are in the news for something besides the (bad) play on the ice.
- It came out Friday that ASU has pulled out of the deal to build an arena with the Coyotes
- ASU is instead planning to build an Olympic village for training.
- Coyotes ownership group ensures fans their intention is to stay in Arizona.
- Possible Options?
- Stay in Glendale – probably not viable with the bad blood between Coyotes and Glendale, even though the arena management is now being done by an outside agency, AEG.
- Salt River Field – no need to deal with politics of any city since it would be a deal with the tribe.
- Downtown – Would Sarver be willing to work with the Coyotes? He may be the biggest obstacle as Mayor Greg Stanton had previously said Phoenix would welcome the Coyotes.
- My personal hope? Downtown. It is more central and has a mass transportation option (light rail) for some. With the exception of the Cardinals, all other sports teams are already there (Suns, Dbacks, Mercury, and Rattlers).