The New York Mets (60-79) picked up a rain shortened win over the Philadelphia Phillies last night, earning them their second series victory in the past six weeks. Both of those series wins have come against the hapless Phillies, which doesn’t say much to the quality of the Mets’ roster. The Mets will look to create some more positive vibes as they begin a four game series against another cellar dweller, the Cincinnati Reds (61-79), tonight. First pitch for the opener of this weekend set is scheduled for 7:10 pm at Citi Field.
The Mets will send right hander Matt Harvey (4-4, 5.97 ERA) to the mound tonight. Harvey returned from the disabled list last Saturday, when he was hammered for seven runs in two innings to lose to the Houston Astros. The Reds will counter with rookie right hander Tyler Mahle (0-1, 2.45 ERA). Mahle’s first two big league starts have come against the Pittsburgh Pirates, including last Saturday, when he received a no decision despite tossing six shutout innings. The Reds ended up losing that game 5-0.
New York Mets Lineup:
- SS Jose Reyes
- RF Nori Aoki
- 3B Asdrubal Cabrera
- LF Brandon Nimmo
- CF Juan Lagares
- 1B Dominic Smith
- C Kevin Plawecki
- 2B Matt Reynolds
- SP Matt Harvey
- The Reds won two out of three against the Mets at Great American Ball Park last week.
- The Mets have won six straight games against the Reds at Citi Field dating back to the 2015 season.
- Harvey is 3-0 with a 2.48 ERA in five career starts against the Reds.
- Amed Rosario (finger) is out of the lineup for a fourth straight game. Jose Reyes will start at shortstop today and bat leadoff.
- Kevin Plawecki will catch tonight as he continues to alternate playing time with Travis d’Arnaud. Plawecki will bat seventh.