For the first time in a while, the New York Mets (61-79) were able to enjoy Harvey Day. Matt Harvey pitched decently, allowing two runs in five innings pitched as the Mets picked up a 7-2 win over the Cincinnati Reds (61-80). The two cellar dwellers will continue their slow march towards the end of the season tonight. First pitch for the second game of this four game set is scheduled for 7:10 pm at Citi Field.
The Mets will send right hander Seth Lugo (5-4, 5.00 ERA) to the mound tonight. Lugo was roughed up in his last start, giving up four runs in five innings to lose to the Houston Astros in the nightcap of a doubleheader last Saturday. The Reds will counter with rookie left hander Amir Garrett (3-6, 7.41 ERA), who actually played college basketball for St. John’s before converting to baseball. Garrett will be making his first start in two and a half months after being demoted to the minor leagues following a rough stretch.
New York Mets Lineup:
- SS Jose Reyes
- LF Brandon Nimmo
- CF Juan Lagares
- C Travis d’Arnaud
- RF Travis Taijeron
- 1B Dominic Smith
- 2B Gavin Cecchini
- 3B Matt Reynolds
- SP Seth Lugo
- Neither team has faced the opposing starter before.
- Asdrubal Cabrera (hamstring) will sit out tonight’s game as a precaution. Matt Reynolds will start at third base and bat leadoff.
- Amed Rosario (finger) is out of the lineup for a fifth straight game. Jose Reyes will start at shortstop for the fifth straight game and bat leadoff.
- Gavin Cecchini will start at second base today and bat seventh.
- The Mets have added infielder Phillip Evans to the 40 man roster, giving them an extra body with all of their infield injuries. Steven Matz has been transferred to the 60 day disabled list to open a 40 man roster spot for Evans.
- With a lefty on the mound the Mets will sit Nori Aoki. Travis Taijeron will start in right field and bat fifth.