- The Story: Halos Heaven takes a look back at the season of stud relief prospect Michael Kohn. The Monkey Says: Kohn checks in at number 10 on the Angels’ list and has future closer written all over him if he can develop a reliable secondary pitch.
- The Story: The first 15 of 30 free agents that should pique the Angels’ interest. The Monkey Says: The Angel have a number of DH types they could pursue this off-season as well as a slew of injury-prone starters. I hope the next 15 are a little more appealing.
- The Story: The first odds for next year’s World Series winners are already in and the Angels have the fourth best odds. The Monkey Says: The Angels have 10-1 odds while the Yankees lead the way at 11-4 with the Red Sox and Phillies following them. You should probably wait and see how free agency plays out before laying out any cash on these betting lines.
- The Story: Re-signing Bobby Abreu was a smart move for both the Angels and Abreu. The Monkey Says: No argument here, but the move will be sheer genius if the Halos can find a regular right fielder so Abreu can save his body (and the Angel defense) by becoming more of a full-time DH.
- The Story: John Lackey, Robb Quinlan and Darren Oliver have already filed for free agency. The Monkey Says: This really doesn’t mean anything more than the agents for those three players are good at doing paperwork. Expect Vladimir Guerrero, Chone Figgins and Kelvim Escobar to follow suit shortly.
- The Story: Does the Bobby Abreu signing signal the end to Chone Figgins’ Angel career. The Monkey Says: That seems to be the general assumption, but I am not entirely sold on that being the case. I’ll explain later today.
- The Story: Tony Reagins is stating that there is no understanding with Gary Matthews that he will be traded this off-season. The Monkey Says: Matthews says there is though. Assuming there actually is an agreement between Gary and the front office that Matthews will be dealt, Reagins isn’t about to admit and give up what little bargaining power he has.