- The Story: Angel announcer Rory Markas passed away late Monday. The Monkey Says: All of Angel Nation is in mourning for the loss of Rory who will always be remember for his call of the World Series clinching catch as well as his signature call of, “Just another Halo victory!”
- The Story: Rory Markas got to live his boyhood dream by becoming an Angel announcer. The Monkey Says: While Rory passed far too soon, at least he got to fulfill his lifelong dream, something few people get to do. Rightly so, Angels PR guru Tim Mead is refusing to discuss plans to replace Markas yet.
- The Story: The Seattle Mariners have traded for former Angel 1B Casey Kotchman. The Monkey Says: Kotch will almost certainly be the Mariners’ primary first baseman, at least against righties and this is just another example of the Seattle GM taking pages straight from the Angel playbook as he rebuilds the Mariner franchise. This might actually be a good thing for the Angels since Kotchman becomes yet another Mariner batter who can’t really hit.
- The Story: Melvin Mora is being pursued by three teams possibly including the Angels. The Monkey Says: The Angels’ interest is only a rumor at this point, but Mora would make a lot of sense as a utility player and Brandon Wood insurance policy, especially if the Halos decide to deal Maicer Izturis for some pitching help. Mora can no longer perform like an All-Star, but he has played almost every position on the field in his career and has a reputation for being a stellar teammate.
- The Story: Aroldis Chapman is expected to sign with a team in the next three or four days. The Monkey Says: The Angels along with the Blue Jays and Marlins are widely considered to be the frontrunners to sign Chapman. If Tony Reagins pulls this off, it would go a long way towards salvaging an otherwise disappointing off-season.