- The Story: The Angel line-up on Wednesday may have been a sneak preview for the regular season. The Monkey Says: Other than the fact that Hideki Matsui should be batting fifth behind Kendry Morales rather than the other way around, this seems like the optimal line-up for the Halos and the results at the plate yesterday certainly spoke to that.
- The Story: Hideki Matsui hit a foul ball yesterday that broke Arte Moreno’s windshield. The Monkey Says: Not a great way to impress the new boss, but at least Godzilla also added his first homer of the spring in the same game (as did Torii Hunter). Good thing for Matsui that MLB contracts are fully guaranteed.
- The Story: Bud Selig has removed the extra off-day from the LCS schedule. The Monkey Says: Mike Scioscia finally gets his wish, just a few months too late. Now the Yankees will have to find some other way to have the commissioner rig the post-season for them.
- The Story: Erick Aybar is one to watch for. The Monkey Says: Somehow regurgitating a slew of stats that show what an unnatural fit Aybar is for the leadoff spot is supposed to convince us that he is ready for a breakout season and yet, I find myself in agreement.
- The Story: The Angels are keeping in touch with Jake Locker. The Monkey Says: Locker’s contract actually calls for him to spend time with the Angels during certain periods over the next few years. Clearly the Halos are keen on keeping him interested in baseball should he flame out in the NFL.
- The Story: The Mets are rumored to be trying to trade Gary Matthews already. The Monkey Says: Wow, that is amazing. The season hasn’t even started and the Mets already regret trading for GMJ. Is there any doubt that Matthews is going to wind up playing in the independent leagues by this time next year?
- The Story: Join Mike Scioscia at Morton’s Steakhouse for Lunch with a Legend. The Monkey Says: ESPN is sponsoring the April 9th event and tickets run $50. Get ’em while you can.