- The Story: Joel Pineiro is slated to start the Angels’ opening Spring Training game. The Monkey Says: Looks like Mike Scioscia is eager to take one of his new toys out for a test drive.
- The Story: Did Mike Scioscia drop a hint that Jered Weaver will be the Opening Day starter? The Monkey Says: That seems to be a pretty big leap in logic but since the decision is likely between Weaver and Kazmir, it is worth taking a guess knowing that you have at least a 50/50 shot at being right.
- The Story: Ranger owner Nolan Ryan predicts the Rangers will win 92 games and the AL West. The Monkey Says: Ryan’s “feeling” isn’t actually that far-fetched, but I still don’t see how anyone can consider anyone but the Angels the favorite to win the division until they prove that they have actually fallen off. So many times the Halos have been written off but they still end up winning.
- The Story: Kendry Morales expects to be fully ready for Opening Day. The Monkey Says: He better be because the Angels need him to shoulder even more of the offensive load than he did last season.
- The Story: Umpire inconsistency might explain why Bobby Abreu doesn’t pull the ball more. The Monkey Says: Part of me thinks it also has to do with Bobby sometimes being too patient and taking pitches that he could drive, but it is hard to argue with charts. Everyone loves charts. They’re all colorful and shiny.
- The Story: Hideki Matsui already feels comfortable in Anaheim. The Monkey Says: To be honest, I don’t know how someone leaving the microscope of New York for the more laid back LA/Anaheim wouldn’t feel more comfortable.
- The Story: Is Jered Weaver’s velocity a concern? The Monkey Says: I had no idea that Weaver’s average velocity was so low, but it makes sense with the way he changes speed on his four-seamer. Still he seems to be above 90 most of the time and I don’t really recall him throwing under 88 very much, which makes his low average a little bewildering.
- The Story: Mike Scioscia has never heard of PECOTA. The Monkey Says: I know the Angels aren’t the most sabermetric-friendly franchise in the world but how can Sosh not even know about PECOTA? This certainly explains all the times he hit Maicer Izturis third over the years and never moved Vlad or GA down in the order.