- The Story: Ken Rosenthal of SI.com says that the Angels are focusing exclusively on trading for bullpen help with George Sherrill and Rafael Betancourt at the top of their list. The Monkey Says: Not exactly a shocking revelation since the Angels seem to clearly lack elite trade chips to snag a Halladay-type starter. I still say they should shy away from Sherrill though just so their top three relievers aren’t all southpaws.
- The Story: Brandon Wood is no longer phased by his naming cropping up in trade rumors. The Monkey Says: I don’t see how Woody couldn’t be immune to the trade rumor hoopla by now seeing how his name has been tossed around for four years now.
- The Story: One reporter wonders how much more patience the Angels should really have for Joe Saunders. The Monkey Says: I’ll have more on this later today, but right now the Angels have no choice but to try and wait out Saunders’s struggles.
- The Story: Former Yankee manager Joe Torre thinks Bobby Abreu and the Angels were always a match made in heaven. The Monkey Says: This is hardly a newsworthy story as Torre isn’t about to say anything bad about a former player or the cross-town rival.
- The Story: INJURY UPDATE: Juan Rivera still isn’t ready for full-time DH duty and Hunter and Vlad will be evaluated by the training staff today. The Monkey Says: Yikes, Rivera can’t DH for “a few more days”? That is no bueno. Why not just play it safe and put him on the DL?
- The Story: Asked about instituting NFL-style instant replay after the controversial call in the Oakland-Minnesota game the other day, Mike Scioscia laughed at the idea of such a system in baseball. The Monkey Says: What a shock, Sosh is too old school to bring baseball into the 21st century with instant replay.