- The Story: Erick Aybar is living up to his potential. The Monkey Says: We all knew Aybar could field, but he is hitting better than anyone expected and has finally cut down on the mental mistakes that used to drive Angel fans so crazy.
- The Story: Joe Saunders threw a bullpen session over the weekend and is feeling the best he has all year. The Monkey Says: This is excellent news if Saundo isn’t blowing smoke up our ass, especially after terrible starts by O’Sullivan and Bell this weekend.
- The Story: Sean O’Sullivan was demoted to Triple-A with Rafael Rodriguez called up to take his spot on the 25-man roster. The Monkey Says: So long, Sully. O’Sullivan had a good start to his career, but the league clearly got the scouting report on him and he is probably not going to be seen again this year unless injury strikes. R-Rod will only be up until Saunders is activated later this week.
- The Story: Jeff Mathis is “coming alive” offensively. The Monkey Says: Mathis has been hitting .265 since the All-Star break, which really only qualifies as “coming alive” for a guy that was under the Mendoza line prior to the break.
- The Story: Nick Adenhart would have turned 23 today if not for his tragic car crash. The Monkey Says: And fittingly, the Angels are making up the game that was canceled due to his death later this week. Personally, I think it would be appropriate if the Angels did not serve any alcoholic beverages during that game in honor of Nick.
- The Story: Vladimir Guerrero wants to play the field again and Mike Scioscia isn’t ruling it out. The Monkey Says: NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn’t Sosh learn his lesson the first time when Vlad had to miss a month after tweaking his knee jogging to a ground ball? Guerrero is mashing right now, don’t mess with it. Boo-hoo for him if he isn’t happy with being a full-time DH, it is working for the team and that is all that counts.
- The Story: Bobby Abreu’s patient approach is having a huge effect on the Angel line-up. The Monkey Says: To a man, the Angels all give credit to Abreu for their offensive awakening this year. For that reason alone, the Halos cannot let Bobby get away in free agency this winter.
- AL West Update: The Rangers also dropped two of three this weekend. The Fire Says: Texas remains 5.5 games back.