Counting down to the Angels’ series with the Twins eager to get a look at the new look Angels.
Minnesota Twins (0-0) @ Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (0-0)
Game : MIN – Scott Baker (0-0, -.– ERA) LAA – Jered Weaver (0-0, -.– ERA)
Game Info: 7:05 PM PT TV-Fox Sports West & ESPN2; Radio-ESPN Radio, KLAA 830 AM, KWKW 1330 AM
- Will the line-up be able to find chemistry with so many new faces and changes in the order? Having Aybar leading off instead of Figgins could be a big obstacle for the Angels to overcome but the Angels seeking out more power in the forms of Hideki Matsui and Brandon Wood could give the offense a new dimension, but it might take some time for everything to come together.
- How will Jered Weaver handle the pressure of being the Angels’ official number one starter? Weaver has started Opening Day before, but that was just because John Lackey was injured. Now the job is his via merit and he will have to prove that Mike Scioscia made the right decision.
- How will Mike Scioscia use his bullpen? One of the few things not made obvious after training camp was the bullpen pecking order. Is Rodney or Shields the main set-up man? Will Fuentes have to share the closer duties right away (or just in a few weeks when his ineptitude rears its ugly head)? What roles will Kevin Jepsen and Jason Bulger have after their breakout 2009 campaigns? All of these questions won’t be answered in this series, but the picture will get a lot less murky by Thursday night.
- Jered Weaver may be the getting the opening nod, but it will be Ervin Santana who pitches the gem of the series for the Angel pitching staff.
- The Angels win their opening game for the second straight year but wind up splitting the series with the Twinkies.
ONE Key to Watch For:
- The Angels need to control Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau, but the real thing we need to watch for is the debut of Victor Rojas as the Angels’ new lead announcer. Rojas comes with high expectations but is also looking to fill the shoes of the late Rory Markas and the crappy Steve Physioc. I for one can’t wait to see how Victor handles the job.
ZERO Tolerance for… any complaints about the new format. I am changing things up from last year and only doing full countdowns for the first game of each regular season series. Frankly, I just don’t have the time to do a full one every day anymore since I have this blog and the Lakers blog for Fanball, oh, and an actual life that I need to live. I’ll figure out something for the other games in each series, but it will be a work in progress, as will the game rewinds.
Leave your own questions, answers, predictions or wishes as a comment or just hang out with us during the game or even chat with us on twitter (@MonkeyWithAHalo).