• Last night, ESPNs Marc Stein wrote in his Weekend Dime post; if the New Jersey Nets buyout Troy Murphy’s contract, San Antonio would be one team in play to make a run at him:
There would be unquestioned interest in Murphy if he went the buyout route and became a free agent — starting with Orlando, Dallas and San Antonio — but the Nets are hoping to swap him for a similar expiring contract before the Feb. 24 trade deadline. And Murphy naturally wants to land with a contender to end his run as the guy who has appeared in more games than any other active player (639) without tasting the playoffs.
• Thursday, Bill Simmons wrote a column titled The Best NBA Allstar Game Ever? In the column, Simmons discusses who he has as All Star reserves; he feels Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are worthy for the reserve positions:
On Manu Ginobili: Manu Ginobili: Reclaimed “Only a few guys get better when it matters and he’s one” and “Night in, night out, it’s just hard to imagine anyone being more entertaining” status after bad ankles nearly derailed his career. Hey, here’s another fun 2011 subplot: the three best foreign players ever who didn’t play college ball in the U.S. (Dirk, Manu and Pau, in that order) playing on the same team.
On Tim Duncan: Tim Duncan: Our 12th man. That’s right, the greatest power forward of all time is the D.J. Mbenga of the 2011 Western Conference All-Stars.
• In yesterdays Chat Wrap with the fans, Bill Simmons also gave his take on the Spurs early success and why the great record may not matter:
Careful, San Antonio – you’re the only “veteran” team that hasn’t been nipped by the injury bug yet. it’s coming. I don’t think there’s ever been more of a “let’s see who’s healthy in May” season than this one. Homecourt doesn’t matter, seeds don’t matter… it’s going to be 100% who’s healthy and feeling good.
• San Antonio Express News writer Tim Griffin explains why Tim Duncan’s monster game last night against the Knicks, was a rare feat that only few have ever accomplished.
• Before the Knicks game last night, word came out that George Hill would be out with a thumb injury, here’s what WOAI’s team gathered.
• After the win against the Knicks last night, Tim Duncan expresses why Coach Pop will be thrilled to coach in the All Star Game!