That was quite the game last night at MSG and the credit really only belongs to Lundqvist and Brodeur. Marty was a little better than Lundqvist, who belive it or not has never shutout the Rangers at MSG in the regular season until last night and was the first time he’s had to make 50 saves in a shutout. I actually thought the Rangers looked better throughout more of the game than the Devils did and the Rangers rocked the Devils in the faceoff circle, winning 64% of the faceoffs.
* Marty and his 51 saves, some of them being extremely hard and getting very lucky on some of them (Gaborik in the OT).
* The Devils did a decent job with Gaborik limiting him to 5 shots on goal for the night.
* Devils were able to get a good number of shots (45) on Lundqvist
* Patrik Elias continues to be money in the shootout but makes one wonder why we keep leaving him out of the top 3 shooters.
* Only took 2 penalties all night and Parise HAD to commit a penalty when he did.
* The Devils defense didn’t do a good job with much as they let the Rangers pile on 51 shots on Marty.
* Devils wasted a 5 on 3, even though they got a few shots off.
* Passing all night was atrocious
* Devils didn’t sustain any kind of pressure and many of their offensive attacks came inconsistently.
* 3 periods done, 96 shots on the board and ZERO goals.
The Final Thought
The Devils didn’t play great and the Rangers didn’t play much better but where better than the Devils. Both goalies were phenomenal and this is a big win for NJ because it comes against the Rangers in MSG. Coyotes play host to NJ tomorrow night in a game I hope Denis gets to play.