Remember on ESPN on Thursday, they showed a happy Carmelo Anthony leaving his meeting with the Los Angeles Lakers. Well, there might be a reason that Melo left happy on Thursday.
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, the Lakers have moved into serious contention for Melo’s services. But where there is smoke, there is fire, here is more from Woj.
As one source in process says of Lakers bid, “They can promise max money without any (roster) moves needing to be made.” 4 years, $97M.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 5, 2014
This is shocking because many people thought this was going to be a two team race between the New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls. Now, you can also add the Lakers to this race.
Are we surprised that the Lakers are in contention for Melo? No we shouldn’t be because its LA and they have the money to spend, as noted they can give Anthony 4 years, and $97 million. That’s much better than the Bulls can give him but the Knicks can still give him more.
If you look at it from a winning standpoint, the Bulls give him the best opportunity to win now. The Knicks and Lakers not so much. The Knicks actually have a young core forming while the Lakers still do not have a coach but they still have Kobe which is a plus.
A team with Carmelo Anthony and Kobe Bryant isn’t bad and it could actually work and remember earlier in the week there was word out saying that Anthony wants to play with Pau Gasol. Imagine if the Lakers can get Anthony and Gasol in LA, then they are right back in the playoff conversation. They would be the new Big 3 on the west coast.
With all that being said, we do not know what Carmelo Anthony is going to do but we will find out soon as he probably will make a decision this week regarding his future.