1) Carl Banks on WFAN yesterday. I am beginning to think that Banks reads this blog for his material. You can argue that I listen to him on radio for mine (!), but I’ve got the big screen hdtv with the Madden comments on how dead the Giants are on 3rd and 10, so I am not that good!
2) In 1984, the first week of training camp, George Young calls Bill Parcells, tells him ‘win or you are fired.’ Parcells then called up players and told them he was cutting players and he specifically asked each of them individually if they were going to play for him or not.. the loyalty to his core group of players began.
3) Jacobs makes everyone better. Resilient bunch. Mentally strong, consistent. Force Delhomme to drive the team down the field. Gmen sacrificed pass rush for bend-dont break. Shut Steve Smith down for 2nd half. Giants wanted slugfest, which won out over the Carolina shootout. Giants needed to settle down, Ross near INT.
4) Banks talked a lot about the lack of the short pass leading up to the game.
“I give the offensive coordinator a lot of credit” (for making the necessary changes).
5) “Did you see Kevin Boss become a factor? The intermediate passing. He stayed in there, he blocked, he leaped out in the middle of the field and they hit him on some big plays and he kept the offense in rhythm. They did not do a lot of things in terms of playcalling that kept the team out of rhythm… They went with intermediate rhythm-type plays.”
6) Hixon made some big plays. We are without Plaxico. We don’t need you to make a spectacular (Plax) play, we just need you to make the Hixon plays.
7) Crazed Giant Fan was all over the poor playcall when Gilbride went to Hedgecock on 3rd and 1. Banks agreed.
8) The Giants will have to beat themselves in order for them to lose in the playoffs. If they continue to function as a team, they will be hard to beat. They are back on track. The teams that can bring pressure will give the Giants the most problems.
9) Jacobs, use him for 5 plays on Sunday and take him out. Tollefson and Bradshaw, get out there and play. GET HEALTHY. What is best for the Giants 2008 team is to get them rest and practice them well to keep them sharp.
10) It was painful, I had to sit through them talking Jets for like 40 minutes crying about the coaching staff. Tell me something we don’t already know. We said it here many weeks ago, that the coaching staff of the Jets was the weakest link.