Phil Simms is on WFAN with Francesa’s ‘NFL Now’ via the internet at ~945AM E.S.T., for all of you out-of-towners who can’t tune in. Today he snuck in at ~925AM and we missed the first few minutes. Here is a summary of what he commented on this weekend:
1) Marvin Harrison was written off too quickly. If the Colts repeat what they did last week, Simms will be (more of) a believer in the Colts. Packers do not have the running game to challenge the Colts weakness (run defense with Sanders hurt).
2) Aaron Rodgers impresses Simms.
3) Romo- practicing and playing with the broken pinky delays the healing process, confusing to Simms. Brad Johnson should just get in there and get it done for them, which he can and will do. Re the breakdowns in protection by the Cowboys OL in the AZ game, Romo holds the ball as long as anyone in the NFL, it puts pressure on the OL to hold their blocks longer, has resulted in Romo fumbles and sacks.
4) Simms has been a big Derek Anderson supporter, so it was an I-told-you-so moment. It was about a healthy OL, given time. Simms’ general message: good players who lose good/healthy players around them need to be judged in that context.
5) Titans- Young coming back, he was not exactly supportive of his role and Collins (referred to as ‘5’). Simms thinks Young will be back as the starter at some point this season. Collins still has it. He has liabilities but he can get it done if he avoids the throws done after missing the hit and throwing off balance.
6) Patriots- where does the explosion and impact come from? They do not have a top premier pass rusher. The passes that Casell threw to Moss were not Casell’s fault. Moss was breaking the route and essentially freelancing. Matt Casell did not go through his progressions, bailed and ran with the ball too quickly. (Francesa says Moss is a ticking time bomb, he will explode sooner than later.)
7) SD-Bills game, a big question mark. Jamal Williams important on the defensive line for SD. Chargers getting healthy. But Chargers have not proven they are good on the road. Simms leaning Bills.
8) Panthers have fight, despite loss to TB. Saints defense not there, not as good as TB’s. Believes the Panthers will beat the Saints.