After an eleven day layoff for final exams, the UCONN men ran over the St. Mary’s (CA) Gaels by the score of 89-73 on Sunday afternoon. UCONN was led by Jerome Dyson’s 19 points and Jeff Adrien’s 15 pts.
The Huskies showed some signs of rust early as their play was a little bit sloppy. After St Marys got to within two points, Gavin Edwards led the Huskies on an 11-2 run and they never looked back from there.
Notes and Observations:
- The starters were Price, Dyson, Johnson, Thabeet, and Adrien
- First person off the bench during the game was Jonathan Mandeldove, who at one time was thought to be redshirted. Although he only scored 2 pts in 13 minutes, his contribution was on the defensive end blocking 4 shots.
- Speaking of blocked shots, Hasheem Thabeet blocked another 3 tonight. UCONN came into the game averaging 10.5 blocks a game to lead the nation. In the game, they had 13 blocks.
- AJ Price was held scoreless in the first half. He did finish the game with 9 points, tied his career high with 8 assists, and added 3 rebounds and only 1 turnover.
- Doug Wiggins’ didn’t score in double figures this game. He did add 8 pts to the cause.
- UCONN for the game shot 51.6% from the floor.
- UCONN’s free throw shooting percentage was a little better than normal. They were 23-35 from the line for 65.7%. This won’t get it done in the Big East especially at the end of the games. I will say this though. It is improving especially with Hasheem Thabeet who was 3 of 5 from the line.
Next up for the Huskies is the Waves of Pepperdine on Wednesday night at the Hartford Civic Center at 7:00 PM. The game will be broadcast on ESPNU.
Technorati: UCONN Huskies, St. Mary’s (CA), Pepperdine, Big East