- The Story: Hideki Matsui is expected to boost the Angels’ revenue. The Monkey Says: Well, duh! Don’t think for a minute that Matsui’s international appeal wasn’t a major reason the Angels went after him so hard in the off-season. Then again, his ability to generate additional revenue is also probably a reason the Halos were able to afford the small boost to their payroll for 2010 despite the economic downturn.
- The Story: Anxiety is part of the job for Brian Fuentes. The Monkey Says: And with Fuentes still the closer, anxiety will definitely be part of the job for any Angel fan watching him pitch in a close game.
- The Story: Fernando Rodney wants a championship not the closer’s job. The Monkey Says: Nice to see he is tempering his expectations, especially since the jury is still out on if he can even be a quality set-up man in Anaheim.
- The Story: Scot Shields could begin throwing off the mound within the next ten days. The Monkey Says: That is most certainly good news as it means Shields is on schedule to make good on his promise of being ready for Opening Day.
- The Story: Brandon Wood is more like Troy Glaus than Dallas McPherson. The Monkey Says: Or at least we hope so (assuming it doesn’t mean that Wood also used PEDs). Drawing comparisons is really a fruitless exercise anyway, especially since I still hold out hope that Wood can blossom into a star and become the first Brandon Wood rather than the next Troy Glaus.
- The Story: Robb Quinlan actually can’t really hit lefties that well. The Monkey Says: Not quite breaking news, but more of a friendly reminder that Q pretty much stinks and has no real usefulness on a MLB roster. No doubt Quinlan will still end up winning the final bench spot over the more deserving likes of Freddy Sandoval just to piss me off.
- The Story: Torii Hunter is the “Shaolin monk” of the team. The Monkey Says: I don’t know why Torii is trying to shed the label of being a leader despite the fact that he is such a natural. Hunter was a great leader when the team needed him last year, so hopefully this isn’t him shedding responsibility so much as him being humble. I just hope he doesn’t take the Shaolin monk thing seriously a la David Carradine from the Kung Fu show and end up hanging from a closet rod wearing fishnets.
- The Story: Bobby Abreu and Kendry Morales might be late reporting to camp. The Monkey Says: It may not matter if they are late if the rain keeps washing out the Angel workouts as it did all weekend.
- The Story: Tickets for the All-Star festivities in Anaheim go on sale today. The Monkey Says: Anyone want to buy me some tickets to the Fan Fest? Anyone? Aw, c’mon! Jerks.
- The Story: An interview with Angel PA announcer David Courtney. The Monkey Says: Read this for sure if you ever wanted to get into the exciting career of… PA announcing?
NFL 11hr ago
The Green Bay Packers hope to build on last week’s home win over Detroit when they head to the Bay Area to take on the San Francisco (…)
MMA Manifesto 17hr ago
There is constant debate about the “official” UFC fighter rankings, which are based on voting from a panel of journalists. (…)
Combat 20hr ago
The championship fight. The pinnacle of achievement across combat sports for centuries. A premiere attraction that draws millions (…)