This week is the third installment of the top 5 teams in MLS as voted on by our staff. There are a lot of teams looking to break into the top 5. This week nine teams received votes and the battle for the top spot was very close again with three teams very close for number one. Let’s have a look at the top 5 for Week 8.
1. New York Red Bulls – After traveling cross-country and getting a draw with rivals LA, the Red Bulls received the most first place votes. Now that Luke Rodgers and Landon Donovan are feuding, it will only add to this rivalry.
2. Real Salt Lake – RSL won on Saturday but dropped in our rankings? Go figure. Maybe most telling to our writers was the loss they suffered Saturday when playmaker Javier Morales broke his ankle against Chivas USA. They still received a healthy number of first place votes but also got a couple of thirds and a fourth.
3. Los Angeles Galaxy – Landon Donovan scored to earn a draw with New York Saturday. Some of our writers said they gave New York the edge for getting the road point. The Galaxy got one first place vote and the rest were seconds and thirds.
4. Philadelphia Union – The Union suffered a tough loss on the road in Portland as Soccer Night in America debuted Friday night. Even with the loss, Philadelphia remains second in the east with a game in hand over New York. They received all fourth and fifth place votes.
5. Columbus Crew – It was a very, very close battle for the fifth spot in our rankings but the Crew sneak in. They sit level on point with the Union, in one more game played, and are one of only three teams in the league with just one loss. We’ll see if the Crew can hold on to this fifth spot which has become somewhat of a revolving door.
Others receiving votes: Colorado Rapids, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, DC United
Do you agree or disagree with our writers? Feel we left any deserving teams out or over rated a team? Tweet us @TotalMLS and let us know.
(image courtesy of newyorkredbulls.com)