Contributor: Nolan Howell
Welcome to another installment of UndercarDVR, where we review what you need to see from this week in boxing and whether it needs to be watched, deleted, or put in fast forward.
Welterweight Bout: Danny Garcia defeated Samuel Vargas via R7 TKO.
- We ain’t surprised, motherfucker.
- Garcia continued his tune-up tour here (which they readily called this fight on the broadcast) in expected fashion. Garcia attempted to show Vargas mercy in the second round with a knockdown, but the fight went on to the seventh where Garcia put it away. We know what Garcia has to offer, but this wasn’t even a glorified exhibition. It was an exhibition. Garcia will continue to be plagued by piss-poor matchmaking and will continue to solidfy himself as a great “what if” in the sport.
- We’ll explain more later, but boxing fans should boycott anything Garcia until he gets fights that actually challenge him. DELEEEETE it.
Junior Middleweight Bout: Jarrett Hurd defeated Jo Jo Dan via R6 TKO.
- In more positive fight results, Hurd continued his rise at super welterweight in impressive fashion. Hurd displayed his quick hands which translated to power against a smaller opponent in Dan. Dan was able to stand in and attempt to work Hurd down with body shots, but having to eat shots from Hurd coming in proved costly.enough to cause Dan’s corner to call it.
- Hurd will continue to be worth looking at going forward, but still has a few fluff fights before he gets to the level many expect him to challenge in. Watch this prospect, but don’t be afraid to skim through this showcase stage of his career.
Lightweight Bout: Javier Fortuna defeated Omar Douglas via UD.
- A decent scrap saw Fortuna get dropped in the first by Douglas, but dominate the rest of the fight with his movement and control of the pace with holding Douglas if he got too cloe. Fortuna proved to be the sharper boxer with more tools in his belt, but also faced some adversity that will help him as he develops entering his prime years going forward.
- Go ahead and keep your eye on this one with your finger on the fast forward button.
-Nolan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or @undercardnolan