Kickoff is almost upon us, and this game has a bit more on the line for both teams before kickoff.
The Lions won their game, so even if the Cowboys win tonight against the Giants, homefield advantage will not happen tonight.
However, the Green Bay Packers are all over the Seahawks right now 21-3, so a Seahawks loss and Cowboys win will clinch a first-round bye for Dallas.
For the Giants, the Redskins defeated the Eagles, and are right on the tails of the Giants, so the Giants know they cannot slip up and lose cushion on their current wild card positioning.
So, how can the Cowboys take care of business tonight?
- Starts and ends in the trenches. The Cowboys offensive line will need to open up the lanes for Ezekiel Elliott and will need to give Dak Prescott a clean pocket to scan the field.
- According to ProFootballFocus, the Cowboys have a trio of top performing offensive lineman – Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zack Martin. They will need to put that skill of full display and maul the Giants.
- The Giants offense has been lackluster most of the season, so for the Cowboys defense, we just need to make the plays that won’t cost us the game. Limit the splash plays and make the corrections that nailed us in week 1 and I’m talking about the screens and running game of the Giants. In week one, Shane Vereen and Co. seemed to have their way, so this time around the Cowboys need to have that cleaned up.
- No turnover and limit the penalties. The Cowboys have a terrible game last time in this regard, so look for them to come out focused with the goal of redeeming that last performance.
- Feed Zeke. We said this week one, but it took Zeke a few weeks to get settled in, so now you know he’ll be looking for redemption in this game as well. Let’s run the ball at them and set the tone early. Take the Giants will.
- Get some turnovers and convert on those turnovers. The Cowboys have not done well in forcing turnovers, but this game would be the perfect time to get on a roll defensively. Give me a signature Sean Lee game!
This will be a playoff type game, let’s see if they close out the NFC East title tonight.
Let’s go Dallas!