Saturday was a great day for the Houston Astros (82-53), who made a triumphant return to Minute Maid Park by sweeping a double header in the first pro sporting event in the city following Hurricane Harvey. Those wins came at the expense of the New York Mets (58-77), who likely would have lost the games anyway since the Astros are a few superior club at this point. The Mets have now lost three in a row and will look to snap that skid as they wrap up their 10 game road trip this afternoon. First pitch for the series finale is scheduled for 2:10 pm at Minute Maid Park.
The Mets will send rookie right hander Chris Flexen (3-3, 6.89 ERA) to the mound today. Flexen was hit hard in his last start, giving up seven runs in 4.2 innings to lose to the Cincinnati Reds last Tuesday. The Astros will counter with righty Mike Fiers (8-9, 4.55 ERA). Fiers was also blasted his last time out, giving up eight runs in four innings to lose to the Texas Rangers last Tuesday.
New York Mets Lineup:
- 2B Jose Reyes
- RF Nori Aoki
- 3B Asdrubal Cabrera
- DH Travis d’Arnaud
- 1B Dominic Smith
- SS Amed Rosario
- LF Brandon Nimmo
- C Kevin Plawecki
- CF Juan Lagares
- Flexen has never faced the Astros before.
- Fiers is 0-1 with a 4.50 ERA in three career appearances (two starts) against the Mets.
- After sitting out the night cap of the double header, Amed Rosario is back in the Mets’ lineup. Rosario will bat sixth and play shortstop.
- Travis d’Arnaud will serve as the designated hitter today and bat cleanup.
- This is the final game of the Mets’ current road trip. The Mets are 3-6 so far on the trip.
- This will be the Mets’ final interleague game of the season. The Mets are just 7-12 in interleague play this year.
- The Astros have activated star shortstop Carlos Correa from the disabled list this afternoon. Correa is back in the lineup and will bat cleanup.