Everything has gone poorly for the New York Mets (58-78), who limp home today after a 3-7 road trip losers of four straight. The Mets are simply playing out the string with the goal of evaluating young players, and that may come with a bonus of improving the team’s draft position for June. The 2018 draft class is reportedly very talented, so the higher a pick the Mets can land the better their chances of landing a potential future star. The Mets enter play today with in a three way tie for the fifth worst record in the league, will kick off a seven game home stand against baseball’s worst team, the Philadelphia Phillies (52-84). First pitch for today’s Labor Day matinee is scheduled for 1:10 pm at Citi Field.
The Mets will send right hander Rafael Montero (3-9, 5.12 ERA) to the mound today. Montero is coming off his finest start of the season, where he tossed 8.1 shutout innings to defeat the Cincinnati Reds last Wednesday. The Phillies will counter with rookie right hander Mark Leiter Jr. (2-4, 3.88 ERA), who is the nephew of former Mets’ left Al Leiter and the son of former big league pitcher Mark Leiter. Leiter pitched well in his last start, giving up three runs in 6.2 innings of work, but was stuck with a loss against the Atlanta Braves last Wednesday.
New York Mets Lineup:
- SS Jose Reyes
- RF Nori Aoki
- 3B Asdrubal Cabrera
- 1B Dominic Smith
- C Kevin Plawecki
- LF Brandon Nimmo
- CF Juan Lagares
- 2B Gavin Cecchini
- SP Rafael Montero
- The Mets are 9-4 against the Phillies this season and won three out of four against them when the two teams last met in Philadelphia in mid-August.
- The Mets are just 3-3 against the Phillies at Citi Field this season.
- Montero is 0-2 with a 9.45 ERA in two appearances (one start) against the Phillies this season.
- Leiter tossed five innings of one run ball in relief against the Mets on August 10th in his lone appearance against them.
- Mets’ shortstop Amed Rosario will get the day off today after injuring his finger in yesterday’s loss to the Astros. Jose Reyes will start at shortstop and bat leadoff.