The last week of the regular season is here, and it can’t end soon enough for the New York Mets (66-89). The Mets are wrapping up a disappointing 2017 season that started with World Series hopes and will probably end with their first 90 loss campaign in eight years. There are still seven games to be played, however, including a doubleheader today with the Atlanta Braves (70-84). First pitch for the opener of the single admission doubleheader is scheduled for 4:10 pm at Citi Field.
The Mets will send rookie righty Chris Flexen (3-4, 7.13 ERA) to the bump for Game 1. Flexen last pitched on Wednesday, when he tossed two scoreless innings of relief against the Miami Marlins. The Mets demoted Flexen to the bullpen shortly after Matt Harvey rejoined the rotation in early September, so he hasn’t made a start since September 3rd. The Braves will counter with another rookie right hander, Lucas Sims (2-5, 5.14 ERA). Sims pitched well in his last start, allowing one run in five innings against the Washington Nationals last Wednesday, but did not factor in the decision. The Braves went on to lose the game 7-3.
New York Mets Lineup:
- RF Nori Aoki
- 2B Jose Reyes
- LF Brandon Nimmo
- 3B Phillip Evans
- 1B Dominic Smith
- SS Amed Rosario
- CF Juan Lagares
- C Tomas Nido
- SP Chris Flexen
- The Mets are 9-6 against the Braves so far this season and won two out of three when the teams last met in Atlanta earlier this month.
- The Mets are 2-3 against the Braves at Citi Field this season.
- The day game is a make up for a rainout back on April 25th.
- This will be the Mets’ fourth double header of the season.
- The Mets and Braves played a double header in Atlanta on June 10th, with the Mets sweeping both games.
- Flexen has not faced the Braves before.
- Sims has faced the Mets once this season, giving up two runs in two innings of work on September 16th.
- The Mets will have Tomas Nido make his first big league start today. Nido will catch and bat eighth.