The day has finally come. The New York Mets (70-91) are set to wrap up their season this afternoon. The last series of the season has been a split so far, with the Philadelphia Phillies (65-96) scoring a win on Friday night and the Mets responding with a 7-4 victory in 11 innings last night. Both teams will look to end their miserable seasons on a high note by securing a series victory in the regular season finale this afternoon. First pitch for the final game of the season is scheduled for 3:05 pm at Citizen’s Bank Park.
The Mets will send right hander Noah Syndergaard (1-2, 3.18 ERA) to the mound today for the “start”. Syndergaard pitched well in his return from the disabled list last Saturday, tossing a scoreless inning against the Washington Nationals, and then departed in the second inning for Matt Harvey. The Mets have a 25 pitch limit in place for Syndergaard’s final outing, and after he hits it the plan is to utilize the bullpen to get through the day. The Phillies will counter with rookie right hander Nick Pivetta (7-10, 6.26 ERA). Pivetta earned his second consecutive win in his last start, tossing six shutout innings to defeat the Atlanta Braves last Sunday.
New York Mets Lineup:
- RF Nori Aoki
- 3B Phillip Evans
- CF Brandon Nimmo
- 1B Dominic Smith
- C Tomas Nido
- SS Amed Rosario
- LF Matt Reynolds
- 2B Gavin Cecchini
- SP Noah Syndergaard
- Syndergaard faced the Phillies back on April 20th, giving up five runs (three earned) in seven innings to suffer his first loss of the season.
- Pivetta is 1-1 with a 6.48 ERA in three starts against the Mets this season.
- The Mets will go with a youth heavy lineup this afternoon, with Nori Aoki being the only real veteran player to draw a start.
- This is the final meeting of the season between the Mets and Phillies. The Mets have won the season series for the sixth consecutive season, holding a 12-6 edge entering today’s game.
- This is the Mets’ final road game of the 2017 season. The Mets are 33-47 on the road so far this season.