Pitching depth remains an issue for the New York Mets (11-9), who took a beating yesterday at the hands of the St. Louis Cardinals (11-9). Chris Flexen filled in for the injured Jacob deGrom and was hit hard, giving up six runs (five of which were earned) in 4.1 innings as the Cardinals routed the Mets 10-2. The two teams have split the first two games of this weekend set and will look to secure the rubber game this afternoon. First pitch for today’s rubber game is scheduled for 2:15 p.m. at Busch Stadium.
The Mets will send right hander Noah Syndergaard (1-1, 5.63 ERA) to the mound this afternoon. Syndergaard was shaky in his last start, allowing five runs in five innings against the Philadelphia Phillies last Monday, but didn’t factor into the decision of a game the Mets went on to win in extra innings. The Cardinals will counter with young righty Dakota Hudson (0-1, 6.08 ERA). Hudson was also shelled on Monday, giving up six runs in 3.2 innings against the Milwaukee Brewers, but was fortunate not to suffer a loss. The Cardinals went on to lose the game 10-7.
New York Mets Lineup:
- Syndergaard is 1-2 with a 3.08 ERA in four starts against the Cardinals lifetime.
- Hudson has never faced the Mets before.
- Despite getting hit on the hand with a pitch yesterday, Pete Alonso is back in the Mets’ lineup. Alonso will start at first base and bat second.
- Wilson Ramos will get the day off today. Travis d’Arnaud will catch and bat eighth.
- Paul DeJong (3 for 5, 2B), Jose Martinez (3 for 6, HR, 2 RBI’s), and Yadier Molina (3 for 10, HR, 2 RBI’s) have good numbers against Syndergaard.
- No Mets’ batters have faced Hudson before.
- This is the final game of the Mets’ 10-game road trip. The Mets are 4-5 so far on the trip.