LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins selected wide receiver Terry McLaurin in the third round (No. 76 overall) of the 2019 NFL Draft.
McLaurin (6-1, 205) played in every game for Ohio State University from 2015-2018 and served as a team captain the last two seasons. For his career, he started 32-of-54 games in which he appeared and totaled 75 receptions for 1,251 yards (16.7 avg. per reception) with 19 touchdown receptions. In his redshirt season, McLaurin was a part of the Ohio State team that won a national championship over No. 2 Oregon in 2014. He was a member of OSU teams that captured the Big Ten championships in 2017 and 2018, and bowl game wins over No. 1 Alabama (2015 Sugar Bowl), No. 8 Notre Dame (2016 Fiesta Bowl), No. 8 USC (2018 Cotton Bowl) and No. 9 Washington (2019 Rose Bowl).
Last season, McLaurin tallied 35 receptions for 701 yards and 11 touchdown receptions. He also averaged 20.0 yards per reception and 50.1 receiving yards per game.
In 2017, McLaurin totaled 29 receptions for 436 yards (15.0 avg.) and caught six touchdown passes. The previous year, McLaurin had 11 receptions for 114 yards and two touchdowns.
McLaurin, 23, attended Cathedral H.S. in Indianapolis, Ind. where he was a consensus four-star prospect by ESPN and Rivals. In 2013, he was named Indiana Mr. Football after leading Cathedral H.S. to the 5A state championship after winning three consecutive Class 4A titles. McLaurin finished the season with three touchdowns, an interception and four tackles in the title game to cap a senior season in which he had recorded 58 receptions for 953 yards and eight touchdown receptions. He also rushed for 744 yards and six touchdowns. He was born April 15, 1996.
NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF TERRY MCLAURIN
- McLaurin is the 477th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 36th third-round selection in that time frame. He is the 66th third-round selection by the Redskins all-time since the institution of the draft in 1936.
- McLaurin becomes the second offensive player to be selected by the Redskins in the 2019 NFL Draft joining college teammate QB Dwayne Haskins.
- With the selection of Terry McLaurin and Dwayne Haskins, the Redskins have now drafted teammates from Ohio State in four drafts. The Redskins drafted Buckeye teammates B Vic Janowicz and T Julius Wittman (1952), G Mike Ingram and T George Tolford (1961) and B Dave Francis and G Rod Foster (1963).
- Dating back to 2014, the Redskins have now selected a wide receiver in seven consecutive drafts, the team’s longest stretch since taking a receiver in 10 consecutive drafts from 1994-2003.
- With the selection McLaurin and Haskins, the Redskins have now drafted teammates in three consecutive drafts to include: DL Jonathan Allen and Ryan Anderson (Alabama, 2017), DL Daron Payne and LB Shaun Dion Hamilton (Alabama, 2018) and DL Tim Settle and CB Greg Stroman (Virginia Tech, 2018). This marks the second occurrence the Redskins have selected teammates in three consecutive drafts. The organization drafted teammates in three straight drafts from 2011-2013 including RB Roy Helu, S DeJon Gomes and WR Niles Paul (Nebraska, 2011), G Adam Gettis and CB Jordan Bernstine (Iowa 2012), and RB Chris Thompson and LB Brandon Jenkins (Florida State, 2013).
- McLaurin is the second Ohio State product selected by the Redskins in the third round in franchise history joining FB Tom Barrington (1966).
- McLaurin is the 18th Ohio State product selected by the Redskins all-time, joining C Steve Andrako (1940), E Cy Souders (1945), B Vic Janowicz (1952), T Julius Wittman (1952), G George Rosso (1954), T Fran Machinsky (1956), T George Tolford (1961), G Mike Ingram (1961), B Dave Francis (1963), G Rod Foster (1963), FB Tom Barrington (1966), E Ron Sepic (1967), RB Rich Galbos (1973), T Henry Brown (1988), G Tim Moxley (1990), Evan Spencer (2015) and Dwayne Haskins (2019).
- With the selection of McLaurin, Ohio State tied Tennessee and Maryland (18) for the sixth-most draft selections in Redskins history.
- McLaurin becomes the second wide receiver produced by Ohio State selected by the Redskins in franchise history joining Evan Spencer (2015).
- The selection of McLaurin at No. 76 overall marks the fourth-highest draft pick from Ohio State, trailing only Dwayne Haskins (No. 15 in 2019), Tom Barrington (No. 38 in 1966) and Fran Machinsky (No.41 in 1956).
- McLaurin becomes the eighth player selected by the Redskins all-time with the No. 76 overall pick, joining E Joel Eaves (1937), B Frank Swiger (1942), B Johnny Papit (1951), E Erick Christensen (1955), T Don Lawerence (1959), G Moe Elewonibi (1990) and RB Ricky Ervins (1991).