The New York Mets (37-44) have seen this road trip become a complete disaster. After falling 5-4 in 10 innings to the Philadelphia Phillies (42-38) last night, the Mets have gone 3-7 on the trip to fall a season high seven games below .500. The Mets will now look to avoid getting swept by the Phillies in the series finale this afternoon. First pitch for the matinee affair is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. at Citizen’s Bank Park.
The Mets will send right hander Zack Wheeler (6-5, 4.69 ERA) to the mound today. Wheeler looked sharp in his last start, allowing one run in seven innings to defeat the Chicago Cubs last Saturday. The Phillies will counter with righty Aaron Nola (6-2, 4.55 ERA). Nola was brilliant in his last outing, allowing only two runs (one earned) in eight innings against the Miami Marlins last Friday, but was still stuck with a tough luck loss thanks to a lack of run support from his teammates.
New York Mets Lineup:
- Wheeler is 1-1 with a 1.93 ERA in two starts against the Phillies this season.
- Nola was hammered by the Mets on April 15, giving up five runs in four innings to suffer a loss at Citizen’s Bank Park.
- After a day off yesterday, Wilson Ramos is back in the Mets’ lineup. Ramos will catch and bat sixth.
- The slumping Robinson Cano will get the day off today. Jeff McNeil will slide back to second base and bat leadoff.
- Cesar Hernandez (9 for 19, HR, 2 RBI) and J.T. Realmuto (7 for 14, 2B, 2 RBI) have raked against Wheeler in the past.
- McNeil (5 for 11, 2B, 2 RBI) and Ramos (4 for 10, 2B, 2 RBI) have good numbers against Nola.