The New York Mets (39-47) may view the Subway Series as their personal World Series, and if that’s the case they will be very happy today. After staging an eighth inning rally last night, the Mets topped the New York Yankees (54-29) 4-2. The two teams will wrap up their brief two game set tonight, with first pitch scheduled for 7:10 p.m. at Citi Field.
The Mets will send lefty Jason Vargas (3-3, 3.66 ERA) to the mound tonight. Vargas pitched well against the Philadelphia Phillies last Wednesday, giving up two runs in 6.1 innings, but was left with a no decision when the bullpen blew his lead in a 5-4 loss. The Yankees will counter with right hander Domingo German (9-2, 3.86 ERA). German last pitched on June 7th, when he gave up four runs in six innings to lose to the Cleveland Indians, before landing on the injured list with a hip problem.
New York Mets Lineup:
- Vargas faced the Yankees at Yankee Stadium back on June 11, giving up three runs in six innings to pick up a win.
- German is 0-1 with a 6.52 ERA in two career starts against the Mets.
- After sitting out the past two games with lefties on the mound, Dominic Smith is back in the Mets’ lineup. Smith will start in left field and bat sixth.
- Edwin Encarnacion (8 for 32, 2 2B, 2 HR, 6 RBI), Brett Gardner (5 for 16, 3B, HR, 3 RBI), Didi Gregorius (3 for 7, HR, 3 RBI) and Aaron Hicks (4 for 14, 2B, HR, 3 RBI) all have good numbers against Vargas.
- J.D. Davis, Todd Frazier, and Adeiny Hechavarria have all homered against German in their careers.