The New York Mets (73-70) are in the midst of the stretch run, and they need to win pretty much every night to have a chance at making the playoffs. Last night was a good start for the Mets, who snapped a two game losing streak by beating the red-hot Arizona Diamondbacks (75-69) 3-1. The Mets will need to keep winning over Arizona to pass them in the wild card race, and they will get another opportunity when the two teams resume their four game series tonight. First pitch for today’s game is scheduled for 7:10 p.m. at Citi Field.
The Mets will send right hander Zack Wheeler (10-7, 4.33 ERA) to the mound today. Wheeler pitched well in his last start, allowing a run in five innings to beat the Washington Nationals last Wednesday. The Diamondbacks will counter with rookie righty Zac Gallen (3-4, 2.50 ERA). Gallen was dominant in his last outing, allowing one hit in seven shutout innings to top the San Diego Padres last Wednesday.
New York Mets Lineup:
- Wheeler faced the Diamondbacks back on May 31, allowing four runs in seven innings to pick up his fifth win of the year.
- Gallen faced the Mets at Citi Field back on July 13, giving up two runs in five innings as a member of the Miami Marlins, but was not a factor in the decision.
- J.D. Davis will get a night off tonight. Todd Frazier is back in the Mets’ lineup, batting eighth and starting at third base.
- The Mets have recalled Chris Mazza from AAA Syracuse to add yet another arm to their bullpen.
- Christian Walker (3 for 3, HR, 2 RBI), Adam Jones (3 for 8, RBI), and Jake Lamb (3 for 6, HR, RBI) have good numbers against Wheeler.
- Michael Conforto launched a two run homer against Gallen in his lone start against the Mets.