Of all the games that the New York Mets (3-5) have lost so far this season, last night’s contest was the worst gut punch. The Mets built an 8-2 lead over the Atlanta Braves (5-3) only to watch a combination of bad defense and poor bullpen performance lead to a collapse in an 11-10 loss. The defeat was the Mets’ third straight and they will look to stop the bleeding as they continue their series with Atlanta tonight. First pitch for the second game of this wraparound series is scheduled for 7:10 p.m. at Truist Park.
The Mets will send right-hander Michael Wacha (1-0, 1.80 ERA) to the mound tonight. Wacha picked up his first win as a Met on Monday night, allowing a run in five innings to top the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park. The Braves will counter with righty Touki Toussaint (0-0, 20.25 ERA), who is taking the rotation spot of Mike Foltyniewicz, who was designated for assignment earlier this week. Toussaint last appeared on Monday, giving up six runs in 2.2 innings of relief against the Tampa Bay Rays.
New York Mets Lineup:
- Wacha is 0-3 with a 3.65 ERA in six career appearances, including four starts, against the Braves.
- Toussaint is 1-0 with a 3.68 ERA in four career appearances against the Mets, including one start back in 2018.
- After getting the night off yesterday Jeff McNeil is back in the Mets’ lineup. McNeil will start at third base and bat second.
- J.D. Davis will get the day off today. Dominic Smith will start in left field and bat seventh.
- Freddie Freeman (4 for 9, 2B, RBI), Adeiny Hechavarria (3 for 5, 2B, 2 RBI) and Ender Inciarte (6 for 9) have good career numbers against Wacha.
- McNeil is 3 for 7 with a double and an RBI against Toussaint.