The New York Mets (3-7) certainly have to hope that yesterday was rock bottom for the 2020 season. While the team’s fifth straight loss was a disappointment, the headlines came off the field as Yoenis Cespedes opted out of the season in a way that created more circus-like vibes for an organization that is all too familiar with that perception. The Mets will look to move forward by snapping their skid and salvaging the finale of their four-game series with the Atlanta Braves (7-3) tonight. First pitch for tonight’s game is scheduled for 7:10 p.m at Truist Park.
The Mets will send their ace, right-hander Jacob deGrom (0-0, 1.64 ERA), to the mound tonight. deGrom was in line for a win in his last outing, holding the Boston Red Sox to two runs in six innings last Wednesday, but was denied a win when the bullpen blew a 3-2 lead after he left the game. The Mets ended up falling 6-5. The Braves will counter with righty Mike Soroka (0-0, 1.59 ERA). Soroka had a tough time against the Tampa Bay Rays last Wednesday, allowing three runs (two earned) in 5.1 innings of work and did not factor in the decision. Atlanta went on to win the game 7-4.
New York Mets Lineup:
- deGrom and Soroka faced off on Opening Day, combining to throw 11 scoreless innings without factoring in the decision.
- After getting the day off yesterday, Wilson Ramos is back in the Mets’ lineup. Ramos will catch and bat sixth.
- J.D. Davis will get the day off. Andres Gimenez will start at third base and bat eighth, allowing Jeff McNeil to move to left field for the first time this year and hit second.
- Freddie Freeman (15 for 55, 2 2B, 3 HR, 6 RBI), Johan Camargo (7 for 24, 2B, HR, RBI) and Ronald Acuna Jr (6 for 22, 2B, RBI) have had good success against deGrom in the past.
- Pete Alonso (4 for 12, HR, 2 RBI) and Robinson Cano (3 for 10, HR, 2 RBI) have good numbers against Soroka.
- Cano has been red hot over the last week, going 11 for 23 with two doubles, a home run, four RBI and four runs scored in his last seven games.
- This is the Mets’ final game of the season in Atlanta, with the final series between the two teams coming at Citi Field in September.