Opening Day didn’t go as planned for the New York Mets (0-1), who picked up where 2020 left off with a bad collapse. Jacob deGrom threw six shutout innings for the Mets but was pulled by Luis Rojas after just 77 pitches with a 2-0 lead, a move that backfired when the Philadelphia Phillies (4-0) scored five runs against Trevor May and Aaron Loup in the eighth inning to steal a win. The Mets will look to shake off the brutal loss and get in the win column for the first time in 2021 as they continue their three-game set with the Phillies tonight. First pitch for tonight’s game is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Citizen’s Bank Park.
The Mets will send right-hander Marcus Stroman (10-13, 3.22 ERA in 2019) to the mound this evening. Stroman will be making his first start in a year and a half after opting out of last season due to the coronavirus pandemic. The Phillies will counter with righty Chase Anderson (1-2, 7.22 ERA in 2020), who spent last season as a member of the Toronto Blue Jays.
New York Mets Lineup:
— New York Mets (@Mets) April 6, 2021
- Stroman is 2-1 with a 3.66 ERA in five career appearances, including three starts, against the Phillies.
- Anderson is 2-3 with a 4.58 ERA in eight career starts against the Mets.
- Dominic Smith is in the Mets’ lineup tonight after sitting out the opener against lefty Matt Moore. Smith will start in left field and bat fifth.
- Matt Joyce is 4 for 11 with a double and a home run in his career against Stroman.
- Michael Conforto has three home runs in 13 at-bats against Anderson.