Rain wiped away yet another game off the schedule of the New York Mets (45-38), who saw a 14th game postponed due to inclement weather last night. The timing wasn’t ideal for the Mets, who now are slated to make up the game with their tenth doubleheader of the season tomorrow. First up, however, is the opener of a four-game weekend series with the struggling Pittsburgh Pirates (32-54) tonight. First pitch for the contest is scheduled for 7:10 p.m. at Citi Field.
The pitching matchup will remain the same as the one scheduled for yesterday. Right-hander Taijuan Walker (7-3, 2.44 ERA) is set to take the mound for the Mets tonight. Walker pitched very well against the New York Yankees last Saturday, giving up two runs in 5.2 innings of work to pick up his seventh win of the year. The Pirates will counter with righty JT Brubaker (4-8, 4.09 ERA). Brubaker got lit up by the Brewers last Friday, giving up five runs in six innings to suffer his eighth loss of the season.
New York Mets Lineup:
— New York Mets (@Mets) July 9, 2021
- Walker has made one career start against the Pirates, giving up four runs (three earned) in six innings back in 2017 to suffer a loss as a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Brubaker has never faced the Mets before.
- Brandon Nimmo is back in the Mets’ lineup after experiencing some shoulder soreness on Wednesday night that would have kept him out of last night’s game if it was able to be played. He will start in center field and bat leadoff.
- James McCann is 2 for 2 with two home runs and 4 RBI’s against Brubaker.
- The Mets have claimed RHP Geoff Hartlieb off waivers from the Pirates and assigned him to AAA Syracuse.