After a solid Opening Day win it looked like things were going according to plan for the New York Mets (1-1) on Saturday. The Mets built a 2-1 lead over the Atlanta Braves (1-1) and Edwin Diaz had Marcell Ozuna down to his final strike before giving up a game-tying home run. The Braves won in extra innings, evening the weekend series and dealing a tough loss to the Mets. Both teams will look to secure the rubber game tonight, with first pitch for tonight’s nationally televised game scheduled for 7:08 p.m. at Citi Field.
The Mets will send right-hander Rick Porcello (14-12, 5.52 ERA in 2019) to the mound for his first start with New York. Porcello last appeared in an exhibition game against the Yankees. The Braves will counter with lefty Sean Newcomb (6-3, 3.16 ERA) in 2019.
New York Mets Lineup:
— New York Mets (@Mets) July 26, 2020
- Porcello is 3-1 with a 3.00 ERA in four career starts against the Braves.
- Newcomb is 3-3 with a 3.29 ERA in 13 career appearances, including seven starts, against the Mets.
- Amed Rosario, who had a multi-hit game yesterday, is on top of the Mets’ lineup with a lefty on the mound.
- Wilson Ramos will get the night off. Tomas Nido will catch and bat eighth.
- This is the Mets’ only scheduled appearance on ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball this season, but Alex Rodriguez won’t call the game over concerns of a conflict of interest given his group’s involvement in the bidding for the franchise.