The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are releasing starting left tackle Donovan Smith.
According to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, the release will save the Bucs $15.25 million cash and $9.95 million in cap space.
Pelissero also reported that the Bucs tried to trade Smith over the last few days, but could not reach a deal.
Tampa Bay shopped Donovan Smith over the past couple days, but a high salary made a deal tough. His release saves the #Bucs $15.25 million cash and $9.95M in cap space. https://t.co/CR924CnLmY
— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) March 7, 2023
Donovan Smith Release Is Latest Cost-Saving Move From Buccaneers
Bucs GM Jason Licht released a statement after Smith’s release, thanking him for the past eight seasons as the team’s left tackle.
“I want to thank Donovan for all that he has done for the Buccaneers on and off the field over the past eight seasons,” Licht said in a statement. “He stepped in as our starter at left tackle in 2015 and his durability and dependability at one of the most important positions in football played a significant role in our offensive success during his time here.”
Smith’s release is the latest in a line of moves by Tampa Bay to save money heading into free agency.
The Bucs entered the offseason $55 million over the salary cap. Smith had a $17.9 million cap hit for 2023, but the release saves nearly $10 million.
The Bucs are also expected to release tight end Cameron Brate and running back Leonard Fourtnette. The Bucs must become cap compliant by March 15 at 4 p.m. ET when the new league year begins.
— Tampa Bay Buccaneers (@Buccaneers) March 7, 2023
Buccaneers Must Replace Quarterback Tom Brady
The Bucs’ biggest task this offseason will be replacing quarterback Tom Brady, who retired this past February.
In three years, Brady led the Bucs to the playoffs in all three seasons, capped off with a victory against the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LV.
Kyle Trask is the only quarterback on the Bucs’ roster, so the team will use free agency and the NFL Draft to address their QB needs.
NFL Betting Guides 2023
- NFL Betting Guide – Discover Best NFL Betting Sites in USA Ranked & Reviewed.
- NFL Betting Apps Guide – Compare the Best Apps for NFL Betting Ranked & Reviewed.
- NFL Live Betting Guide – Compare Best NFL In Play Betting Sites.
- The Latest NFL Odds – Compare the Best Football Odds & Lines.
- NFL Spread Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to Win Football Spread Bets.
- NFL Totals Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to Win Football Totals Bets.
- NFL Futures Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to Win Football Futures Bets.
- NFL Moneyline Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to win Football Moneyline Bets.
- Free NFL Picks – Check Expert Football Picks & Predictions.
- Free NFL Picks Against The Spread – Check Expert NFL Picks Against the Spread.