Without Travis Kelce and Chris Jones, the Chiefs lost the season opener to an inspired and tough Detroit Lions team.
The 0-1 Chiefs travel to Jacksonville to take on the Jaguars on Sunday, and should they lose, they would become the fifth team in NFL history to go 0-2 after lifting the Lombardi Trophy the previous season.
Of those four teams, only one that went 0-2 made it to the playoffs that season.
Here are the four in chronological order.
1. 1982 San Francisco 49ers
— Old School 80s (@OldSchool80s) January 24, 2021
The 1982 San Francisco 49ers had several obstacles that they could not overcome.
To begin with, this was a strike-shortened season consisting of only nine games.
The 49ers went 3-6.
A below-par running game and a defense that gave up too many points were the main issues for this team that did not qualify for the playoffs despite an expanded format because of the strike.
2. 1987 New York Giants
— Old School 80s (@OldSchool80s) January 25, 2021
The 1987 season was also hampered by a strike that canceled the Week 3 games.
The New York Giants went 0-5 before winning their first game.
They finished the season 6-9 and in last place in the NFC East.
3. 1993 Dallas Cowboys
— 90’s Dallas Cowboys (@90s_cowboys) January 22, 2020
The 1993 Dallas Cowboys were dealing with an Emmitt Smith holdout in the early weeks of the season.
Smith was back in Week 3, and the Cowboys rebounded finishing the season 12-4.
The Cowboys not only made the playoffs, but they won their second consecutive Super Bowl during the 1993 season.
4. 1999 Denver Broncos
#OTD in 1999, the #Denver #Broncos defeated the #Atlanta #Falcons 34-19 to win #SuperBowl XXXIII. QB John Elway was named #MVP, throwing for 336 yards and a score to Rod Smith. #NFL #BroncosCountry pic.twitter.com/QAYQ5KI4Xy
— Mike P. (@3RiversBaseball) January 31, 2022
John Elway retired after winning back-to-back Super Bowls in the 1997 and 1998 seasons, and the Denver Broncos struggled in the early part of the 1999 season as a result.
The Broncos finished 6-10 and did not make the playoffs.
Will the Chiefs be the fifth team on this list after Week 2?
We will have to wait and see.
NFL Betting Guides 2023
- NFL Betting Guide – Discover Best NFL Betting Sites in USA Ranked & Reviewed.
- NFL Betting Apps Guide – Compare the Best Apps for NFL Betting Ranked & Reviewed.
- NFL Live Betting Guide – Compare Best NFL In Play Betting Sites.
- The Latest NFL Odds – Compare the Best Football Odds & Lines.
- NFL Spread Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to Win Football Spread Bets.
- NFL Totals Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to Win Football Totals Bets.
- NFL Futures Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to Win Football Futures Bets.
- NFL Moneyline Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to win Football Moneyline Bets.
- Free NFL Picks – Check Expert Football Picks & Predictions.
- Free NFL Picks Against The Spread – Check Expert NFL Picks Against the Spread.