The New York Mets (54-69) got a good pitching performance last night from Robert Gsellman, but it wasn’t good enough to defeat the Arizona Diamondbacks (68-57). A.J. Pollock’s two run homer in the tenth inning allowed the Wild Card contending Diamondbacks to pick up a 3-2 win over the Mets, dropping New York a season high 15 games below .500. The Mets, who have now lost seven of their last eight games, will look to bounce back and even their series with the Diamondbacks tonight. First pitch for the second game of this four game series is scheduled for 7:10 pm at Citi Field.
The Mets will send left hander Tommy Milone (1-2, 7.91 ERA) to the mound tonight. Milone is making his first start since May 21st after landing on the disabled list with a knee injury. The Diamondbacks will counter with another lefty, Patrick Corbin (10-11, 4.25 ERA). Corbin was dominant in his last start, tossing 8.2 shutout innings to defeat the Houston Astros last Thursday.
New York Mets Lineup:
- CF Juan Lagares
- 3B Asdrubal Cabrera
- LF Yoenis Cespedes
- 1B Wilmer Flores
- C Travis d’Arnaud
- RF Matt Reynolds
- SS Amed Rosario
- 2B Gavin Cecchini
- SP Tommy Milone
- Milone faced the Diamondbacks back on May 16th, giving up five runs in 5.2 innings to suffer his first loss as a Met.
- Corbin faced the Mets back on May 17th, giving up four runs in six innings of work, but didn’t factor in the decision.
- With a lefty on the mound, the Mets will rest both Brandon Nimmo and Dominic Smith. Juan Lagares will start in center field and bat leadoff while Wilmer Flores will play first base and bat cleanup.
- Travis d’Arnaud will catch tonight as the Mets appear committed to splitting playing time between him and Kevin Plawecki going forward. d’Arnaud will bat fifth.
- Michael Conforto was originally in the lineup but was scratched with a thumb injury. Matt Reynolds will play right field today and bat sixth.