The New York Mets (28-35) went back to their losing ways yesterday, starting their road trip with an 8-2 loss to the Atlanta Braves (38-28). Zack Wheeler ran out of gas in the sixth inning, but the Mets left him out there to protect their bullpen, and the result was a five run inning that put the game out of reach. The Mets will now look to avoid getting swept as they wrap up their brief two game series with the Braves this afternoon. First pitch for the matinee affair is scheduled for 12:10 pm at SunTrust Park.
The Mets will send their ace, right hander Jacob deGrom (4-1, 1.57 ERA) to the mound today. deGrom turned in another stellar performance in his last start, allowing three runs (two earned) in eight innings against the New York Yankees last Friday, but was handed his first loss of the season due to a (continuing) lack of run support. The Braves will counter with rookie righty Mike Soroka (1-1, 3.68 ERA). Soroka last pitched on May 12th, when he allowed five runs (one earned) in 4.2 innings against the Miami Marlins, but did not factor into the decision in a game the Braves went on to win. After that game, Soroka was placed on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation and missed a month of action.
New York Mets Lineup:
- CF Michael Conforto
- 3B Todd Frazier
- LF Brandon Nimmo
- RF Jay Bruce
- C Kevin Plawecki
- 1B Dominic Smith
- SS Amed Rosario
- 2B Luis Guillorme
- SP Jacob deGrom
- deGrom has dominated the Braves this season, pitching to a 0.50 ERA in three starts against them, but has three no decisions thanks to the Mets’ pitiful offense.
- Soroka made his big league debut against the Mets back on May 1st, allowing one run in six innings of work to record his first big league win.
- Asdrubal Cabrera will get a day off today. Luis Guillorme will start at second base and bat eighth.
- Devin Mesoraco will also rest this afternoon. Kevin Plawecki will catch the day game after the night game and bat fifth.
- Seven of the nine players in the Mets’ starting lineup are home grown.
- This is the Mets’ final game of the season at SunTrust Park. They have gone 3-5 over their first eight games in Atlanta this season.