NFL Network insiders Ian Rapoport and Mike Garofalo report that former Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, 31, is signing a contract to join the New Orleans Saints for the 2023 season.
The #Saints are closing in on a deal with QB David Carr, sources tell me and @RapSheet. After nine seasons with the #Raiders, the four-time Pro Bowl selection is headed to New Orleans.
The first QB domino is about to fall and one NFC South team has its starter. pic.twitter.com/nuLSAhncLQ
— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) March 6, 2023
It is expected to be a four-year deal, but the terms have not yet been disclosed.
Though there was so much publicity related to Carr visiting the New York Jets, Carr signing with the Saints makes so much sense.
Here are the reasons why.
1. He Reunites With His Former Raiders Coach Dennis Allen
Allen was the head coach of the Oakland Raiders in 2014 when Carr was drafted.
Both coach and player know each other well.
Allen will begin his first season as the Saints’ head coach in 2023, but he has been with the organization since 2015 in various capacities.
2. He Joins The NFC
The competition in the AFC is more intense.
This was evident in 2022 as the Philadelphia Eagles were head and shoulders the best team in the NFC who met with little competition before getting to the Super Bowl.
Carr joins an NFC team in a division (NFC South) that was a mess last year.
The Saints are building a team to win now whereas the Panthers, Falcons, and Buccaneers could be in a rebuilding phase.
3. He Will Immediately Be The QB1
There is no question that he will be the starting quarterback the minute he signs his Saints contract.
No quarterback competition during camp is expected with Jameis Winston (who enters the final year of his two-year deal in 2023), and Andy Dalton is a free agent.
4. He Will Play In A Dome
Quarterbacks like to play in the climate-controlled dome.
Look at the numbers Kirk Cousins puts up each year as a frame of reference.
Coming from Las Vegas, this will be an easy transition.
With all of the weeks of speculation, this turns out to be a no-brainer.
It may have fallen under the radar because of all of the hoopla surrounding his visit with the New York Jets.
This appears to be a smart decision for both the Saints and Derek Carr.
NFL Betting Guides 2023
- NFL Betting Guide – Discover Best NFL Betting Sites in USA Ranked & Reviewed.
- NFL Betting Apps Guide – Compare the Best Apps for NFL Betting Ranked & Reviewed.
- NFL Live Betting Guide – Compare Best NFL In Play Betting Sites.
- The Latest NFL Odds – Compare the Best Football Odds & Lines.
- NFL Spread Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to Win Football Spread Bets.
- NFL Totals Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to Win Football Totals Bets.
- NFL Futures Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to Win Football Futures Bets.
- NFL Moneyline Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to win Football Moneyline Bets.
- Free NFL Picks – Check Expert Football Picks & Predictions.
- Free NFL Picks Against The Spread – Check Expert NFL Picks Against the Spread.