Week 7 Wrap-Up: Philadelphia Eagles vs. Minnesota Vikings

Week 7 Wrap-Up: Philadelphia Eagles vs. Minnesota Vikings

Total Sports Live

Week 7 Wrap-Up: Philadelphia Eagles vs. Minnesota Vikings


After losing two straight games on the road to the Detroit Lions and Washington Professional Football Team, the Philadelphia Eagles came back home to the friendly confines of Lincoln Financial Field to take on Sam Bradford and the undefeated Minnesota Vikings.

While Lincoln Financial Field was friendly to the Eagles, it wasn’t to Bradford and the Vikings as the Eagles’ defense pressured him all game, leading to a 21-10 victory.

The first quarter was marred by turnovers as both teams combined for five. However, neither team could capitalize off of each other’s mistakes. Late in the opening quarter, Eagles cornerback Ron Brooks was carted off the field with a right knee injury.

With each team getting their turnovers out of their systems, the Vikings would draw first blood in the second quarter as kicker Blair Walsh made a 48-yard field goal.

Then, on the ensuing kickoff, wide receiver Josh Huff took the ball 98 yards for a touchdown, putting the Eagles on the board. The Eagles then went for a two-point conversion and successfully converted it as rookie quarterback Carson Wentz ran it in from one yard out, giving them an 8-3 lead.

After Huff’s kickoff return for a touchdown, the Vikings and Eagles went three and out on their next offensive drives. With 5:40 left in the first half, Minnesota got the ball back and was putting together a solid eight-play drive until Bradford was sacked by safety Rodney McLeod.

McLeod, in the process, stripped Bradford of the ball and defensive tackle Beau Allen recovered it with 2:51 left in the first half.

The Eagles’ offense on their ensuing possession put together a 10-play, 35-yard drive leading to a 35-yard Caleb Sturgis field goal. Sturgis made the field goal and the Eagles went into the half up 11-3.

The Vikings got the ball to begin the second half and the Eagles’ defense did a great job, forcing them to punt. Then, on the Eagles’ first possession of the second half, they finally scored a touchdown. On the first four plays of the drive, the Eagles ran the ball with both running backs Ryan Mathews and Wendell Smallwood.

However, on third down, Wentz to the passing game and was looking for wide receiver Dorial Green Beckham, who was mugged by Vikings cornerback Trey Waynes. Waynes was called for defensive pass interference, giving the Eagles’ new life.

After the Waynes’ penalty, Wentz found Mathews for a short pass that went for 27 yards. Wentz continued to throw to his running backs as this time, he found Sproles for a 19-yard pitch and catch to put the Birds in the red zone.

Finally, on third and goal, Wentz went back to Green-Beckham, finding him on a slant route for a five-yard touchdown reception.

With 5:45 left in the third quarter, the Eagles now had a commanding 18-3 lead over the Vikings.

Nevertheless, Minnesota did not quit as they put together their own 14-play scoring drive, going into the fourth quarter. But the Eagles’ defense held firm and stopped both Zach Line and Matt Asiata for no gain on third and fourth and goal.

Later in the fourth quarter, the Eagles tacked on another Sturgis’ field goal, this time from 21 yards out to put them up 21-3.

with 4:46 left in the game, Mathews fumbled the ball away, giving the Vikings’ offense another chance to put a scoring drive together. Bradford led the Vikings down the field, capped off by a touchdown pass to wide receiver Cordarelle Patterson.

Minnesota was now down 21-10, but that’s all she wrote as the Eagles snapped their two-game losing streak and gave the Vikings their first loss of the season.

Next week, the Eagles will host their NFC East rival, Dallas Cowboys in prime time. Kickoff is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET on NBC.

More Sports

More Total Sports Live