It was a tale of two games for the New York Mets (73-84) last night. The first half of the game was good for the Mets, who built a 3-0 lead over the Atlanta Braves (89-68) behind six shutout innings from Noah Syndergaard. Syndergaard was sent home early with the flu, however, and the bullpen coughed up the game by giving up seven runs in the last three innings to set up another loss. The Mets will look to even their series with the playoff bound Braves tonight. First pitch for tonight’s game is scheduled for 7:10 pm at Citi Field.
The Mets will send their ace, right hander Jacob deGrom (9-9, 1.77 ERA), to the mound today for what could be his final start of the season. deGrom finally earned his ninth win last Friday, allowing one run in seven innings to defeat the Washington Nationals. The Braves will counter with lefty Sean Newcomb (12-9, 4.04 ERA). Newcomb was hit hard in his last outing, giving up five runs in three innings to lose to the Nationals on September 16th. The Braves skipped Newcomb’s last turn in the rotation to try and give him a breather since he has pitched a career high 158.1 innings entering play today.
New York Mets Lineup:
- SS Amed Rosario
- 2B Jeff McNeil
- CF Austin Jackson
- LF Michael Conforto
- 3B Todd Frazier
- 1B Dominic Smith
- C Devin Mesoraco
- SP Jacob deGrom
- RF Brandon Nimmo
- deGrom is 0-2 with a 1.09 ERA in five starts against the Braves this season.
- Newcomb is 1-0 with a 1.38 ERA in two starts against the Mets this season.
- Devin Mesoraco will catch for deGrom tonight and bat seventh.
- Dominic Smith will start at first base today, giving Jay Bruce a night off, and bat sixth.
- Weather could be a factor in tonight’s game since the forecast calls for a line of severe thunderstorms to hit the area around 10:00 pm.
- Nick Markakis (10 for 36, HR, 3 RBI’s), Freddie Freeman (12 for 41, 2 2B, 2 HR, 4 RBI’s), Tyler Flowers (4 for 11, HR, RBI) and Johan Camargo (5 for 14, 2B, HR, RBI) have had notable success against deGrom.
- Amed Rosario is 3 for 4 with a pair of doubles and an RBI against Newcomb.