The New York Mets (25-26) had fits with the Detroit Tigers (19-30) again yesterday. Despite entering the series on a nine-game losing streak, the Tigers out-slugged the Mets on Friday and took yesterday’s game to 13 innings. Tomas Nido played the role of hero for the Mets, launching a solo homer to give the Mets a walk off win. The Mets will look to secure the rubber game this afternoon, with first pitch for the contest scheduled for 1:10 p.m. at Citi Field.
The Mets will send right hander Zack Wheeler (3-3, 4.74 ERA) to the mound this afternoon. Wheeler was solid in his last start, giving up three runs in seven innings against the Washington Nationals on Tuesday, but was not a factor in the decision. The Mets went on to win that game 6-5. The Tigers will counter with rookie righty Spencer Turnbull (2-3, 2.68 ERA). Turnbull’s last start came on Tuesday, when he gave up three runs in five innings against the Miami Marlins, but was stuck with a no decision for his efforts. The Tigers went on to lose that game 5-4.
New York Mets Lineup:
- Neither pitcher has faced the opposing team before.
- The Mets have activated outfielder Michael Conforto from the injured list. Conforto will start in right field and bat third upon his return.
- Rajai Davis has been designated for assignment to clear an active roster spot for Conforto.
- J.D. Davis and Pete Alonso are out of the Mets’ lineup today. Dominic Smith will start at first base and bat second while Carlos Gomez mans left field and will bat sixth.
- This is the final game of the Mets’ seven game home stand. The Mets are 5-1 over the first six.