The New York Mets (36-40) did something they rarely do yesterday: earn a win at Wrigley Field. Jeff McNeil was a star for the Mets, launching a two run homer and delivering the go-ahead single to help the Mets beat the Chicago Cubs (41-34) 5-4. The Mets will now look to pick up their second straight win by topping the Cubs again this afternoon. First pitch for today’s game is scheduled for 2:20 p.m. at Wrigley Field.
The Mets will send righty Zack Wheeler (5-5, 4.94 ERA) to the mound today. Wheeler was hit hard in his last start, giving up five runs (four earned) in six innings to lose to the Atlanta Braves on Monday. The Cubs will counter with left hander Jose Quintana (4-6, 3.87 ERA). Quintana was decent in his last start, allowing two runs in five innings against the Los Angeles Dodgers last Sunday, but he didn’t factor in the decision. The Cubs went on to lose that game 3-2.
New York Mets Lineup:
- Wheeler is 1-1 with a 5.14 ERA in four career starts against the Cubs.
- Quintana is 2-1 with a 1.35 ERA in three starts against the Mets.
- Todd Frazier, Amed Rosario, and Wilson Ramos are back in the Mets’ lineup today, batting cleanup, seventh, and sixth respectively.
- Jason Heyward is 8 for 24 with two doubles, two home runs, and three RBI’s in his career against Wheeler.
- Robinson Cano is 7 for 19 with a homer and two RBI’s in his career against Quintana.
- Cano is also off today. Jeff McNeil starts at second base and bats leadoff.