The Preakness Stakes is the second leg of the US horse racing Triple Crown, followed two weeks after the Kentucky Derby and is run three weeks before the Belmont Stakes. Run over a trip of 1m 1½f, the Preakness Stakes was first run in 1873 and is for 3 year-old colts/geldings or fillies. But what are the key Preakness Stakes trends?
To help you find the winner of the 2022 Preakness Stakes, run at Pimlico raceourse on Saturday 21st May, you can use our key trends and stats. We’ve got the best 10-year Preakness Stakes trends below that you can apply to the final runners and look for the best winning profiles based on the horses that have been successful in the race before.
For example – in the last 10 years, we’ve seen 8 winners come from stalls 6 or lower that have raced at least five times and also ran at Churchill Downs last time out.
Let’s take a look at some more Preakness Stakes trends below
Preakness Stakes Trends and Stats
- 10/10 – Had NEVER raced at Pimlico before
- 10/10 – Ran in the last 6 weeks
- 10/10 – Drawn in stalls 9 or lower
- 10/10 – US bred winners
- 9/10 – Won by a colt/gelding
- 9/10 – Won over at least 1m before
- 9/10 – Won between 1-5 times
- 8/10 – Drawn in stalls 6 or lower
- 8/10 – Ran at least 5 times before
- 8/10 – Favourites that finished in the top 4
- 8/10 – Ran at Churchill Downs last time out
- 7/10 – Horse from stall 5 placed in the top 3
- 7/10 – Ran in the Kentucky Derby last time out
- 7/10 – Ran in the last 2 weeks
- 6/10 – Winners from between stalls 4-7 (inc)
- 6/10 – Horse from stall 6 placed in the top 3 (3 winners)
- 4/10 – Won the Kentucky Derby last time out
- 2/10 – Winning favourites
- 2/10 – Ridden by Victor Espinoza (3 wins in total)
- 2/10 – Trained by Bob Baffert (7 wins in total)
- 1/10 – Ran in the Kentucky Oaks last time out
- 1/10 – Filly winners
- 1/10 – Came into the race unbeaten
Do The Main Preakness Stakes Runners Tick The Key Trends?
Epicenter 6-5 With BetOnline
Pluses – Having raced in the last 6 weeks, being US bred and a colt. Winning between 1-5 times and over at least 1m, plus a top 4 finish last time out (came 2nd in the Kentucky Derby). 70% of the last 10 winners also ran in the Kentucky Derby last time out. His trainer, Steve Asmussen hasa won the race twice.
Negatives – The big negative is the draw. 80% of the last 10 Preakness Stakes winners came from stalls 6 or lower. Epicenter has been handed the 8 draw.
Early Voting 7-2 With BetOnline
Pluses – Drawn 6 or lower (drawn 5), US Bred and being a colt are all pluses based on the main trends. A top four finish last time (placed 2nd) is another plus and having won between 1-5 times in the past and also over at least a mile. His trainer, Chad C Brown won the race in 2017
Negatives – Has only had three runs, while didn’t run at Churshill Downs or in the Kentucky Derby last time out – 8 of the last 10 winners ran at Churchill Downs last time out. Only 2 of the last 10 favourites have won the Preakness Stakes.
Secret Oath 9-2 With BetOnline
Pluses – A good draw in 4 with 8 of the last 10 winners coming from 6 or lower and 60% of the last 10 coming between stalls 4-7. Won the Kentucky Oaks last time so running at Churchill Downs in her recent run is a positive. Winning between 1-5 times (5 wins) and having raced in the last 2 weeks (7 of the last 10). Trainer D Wayne Lukas has won the race 6 times.
Negatives – Only 6 fillies have ever won the Preakness Stakes and only two since 1924.
Simplification 6-1 With BetOnline
Pluses – Running in the Kentucky Derby (4th) last time out and finishing in the top four is a positive. Winning between 1-5 times (1 win) and 8 of the last 10 winners came from stalls 6 or lower (drawn 1). Also running in the last 2 weeks and at Churchill Downs last time out.
Negatives – 60% of the last 10 winners came between stalls 4-7 (drawn 1), while this trainer Antonio Sano has never won the race. Has also only raced 4 times.
Creative Minister 10-1 With BetOnline
Pluses – Running at Churchill Downs last time out, when winning an Allowance Optional Claimer on Kentucky Derby day (just 2 weeks ago). Drawn in stall 6 or lower (1) and winning between 1-5 times (2 wins). Trainer Kenneth McPeek won the race in 2020. Has won over a mile ((or further), plus been supplemented for the race at $150,000.
Negatives – Has only had three career runs, 60% of the last 10 winners came between stalls 4-7 (drawn 2)
Recent Preakness Stakes Winners
- 2021 – ROMBAUER (118/10)
- 2020 – SWISS SKYDIVER (117/10)
- 2019 – WAR OF WILL (61/10)
- 2018 – JUSTIFY (triple crown winner) (2/5 fav)
- 2017 – CLOUD COMPUTING (134/10)
- 2016 – EXAGGERATOR (13/5)
- 2015 – AMERICAN PHAROAH (triple crown winner) (9/10 fav)
- 2014 – CALIFORNIA CHROME (1/2 fav)
- 2013 – OXBOW (154/10)
- 2012 – I’LL HAVE ANOTHER (16/5)
2022 Preakness Stakes Odds
- Epicenter 6-5 With BetOnline
- Early Voting 7-2 With BetOnline
- Secret Oath 9-2 With BetOnline
- Simplification 6-1 With BetOnline
- Creative Minister 10-1 With BetOnline
- Armagnac 12-1 With BetOnline
- Skippylongstocking 20-1 With BetOnline
- Happy Jack 30-1 With BetOnline
- Fenwick 50-1 With BetOnline
- (Note: odds are subject to change)
Watch Rombauer Winning The 2021 Preakness Stakes
Best Betting Sites To Bet On 2022 Preakness Stakes
BetOnline – Claim 50% Match Deposit Bonus Up To $1,000
By signing up at BetOnline ahead of the Preakness Stakes this month, newcomers are entitled to receive up to $1,000 in racing free bets.
There are a host of other offers available at the sportsbook too, which can be viewed by clicking on the following BetOnline promo codes link. For the $1,000 welcome bonus, however, see below:
- Click this link to go to BetOnline
- Register a new account by following the straight forward steps
- Deposit between a minimum of $10 – $1,000
- BetOnline matches your first deposit by 50% up to the value of $1,000